Begin with the following key questions:
- What needs do we all share?
- Who is responsible for meeting our needs?
- Does everyone in our class/on our table have the same needs?
- Would rules help us to be responsible for other people’s needs?
- Do we help with anyone’s needs at home?
Introduce a house plant (or you could an area for looking after - e.g. garden) with great ceremony and excitement. Explain that it needs us, as a responsible humans, to take care of it.
- Make a list of what it needs to be properly looked after.
- Make a list of jobs that will meet those needs.
- How often do they need to be done?
- Whose responsibility is it? [Everyone’s]
- Next, draw up a rota of children to carry out the jobs.
Assign a ‘monitor’ role to your child. This monitor should check every day that the roles have been carried out.
You can then reward your child with a certificate.